My Glass Slipper Just Did Not Fit…


How do I describe the experience of attending my second Run Disney event? With being registered for the 5k, 10k and half. The 10 and half equalled the glass slipper challenge.

Let’s just start with the ugly…

My glass slipper did not fit.

Koren and I did the 5k together, it was the first time ever we’ve come across the finish line together, it wasn’t a run of any sorts that we pushed ourselves; we just went out and had fun. The run itself is just magical, fireworks, characters and we dressed up like the Evil Step Sisters. Disney always goes above and beyond.

Now on to Friday (the day), not sure what hit me, but I was beyond violently ill. I was beyond nauseous. No appetite and I had such severe pains in my tummy I wanted to cry. I ended up being sick and not in any pretty sense either.

10k Saturday came, after a sleepless night, no food and water not evening staying in my system… I got up for the run, dressed and went to start my 10k. Koren looked perfect as Pocahontas and I just felt like death. But I didn’t give up. I figured I’ve got this far, I can do this. I started the event and went as best as I could, but after being sick a few times on course, with feeling like I was going to pass out, I decided that I’d basically go at a crawl until I was swept off course. I wasn’t going to give up. Needless to say, vomiting in front of a medic was not helpful in my situation. I was swept and brought to the medical area, just to make sure I was ok. The ladies at this tent were awesome. They were nurses and beyond extremely helpful. They gave me ideas of what to buy from the resort as well as told me to get off the water.

The half has arrived, Sunday. I slept as best as I could and my goal was not to give up. The weather took a changeover night and this little thing called humidity crept up overnight. I was partially a bit worried with my asthma that it was going to make an appearance, but it was still chilly, so I was hopeful. After walking about 2kms to the start line and waiting around till my corral was up, it was forever.  It was my time to go, off I went. I was doing well, was on pace and ready to keep going. But my lungs had a different story. My asthma went off, and I was unable to breathe, I was able to make it to a medical tent and between hand signs and barely audible words, they got me what I needed to go with my puffer. After a couple rounds of my puffer, it wasn’t getting better. I was carried (yes men carried this fabulous body) to warm up in a van and after realizing my vitals were not that awesome they carried me back to the medical tent until the “golf cart ambulance” could get to me.

I was transported to the hospital on Disney for the run. Just picture the tv show “Mash” and make it the 2016 version. I was met upon arrival by 2 doctors and moved to a cot to be hooked up to machines. At this point they wanted to pull Koren off the course, but I’m a tough cookie and told them no. I was in the hospital hooked up to machines, for over 2 hours with another dosage of breathing by oxygen mask and they were happy I was coming back around. I didn’t get to finish my first half-marathon. Am I upset? Yup. Am I giving up? Nope.

I’ve already signed up for my first half on Canadian soil, which will be in October. < Excellent organization and who wouldn’t want to run the streets of Toronto.

In all the Disney weekend taught me, its ok not finish. It’s not the end of the world nor does it define me as a person. I tried and trying is just as important. Will I return? You bet.

How can I not want to go to the happiest place on earth and run with my bestie.

So…. Next time the glass slipper will fit.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s